These islands are just a short kayak or paddleboard ride off our front door in the intracoastal waterway. Look for manatee, green turtles, dolphins and sea rays as you glide by.
Munyon Island was originally called Nuctsachoo (Pelican Island) by the Seminoles. It supported one of the largest wading bird rookeries in South Florida. The first inhabitant of the Island in 1884, was a man named Rodgers who was an eccentric “Robinson Crusoe” who lived in a tent and sold green sea turtles which he caught in Lake Worth. Next were the Pitts family, who bought the island in 1892 and built a two-story house. In 1901, the Pitts sold the island to Dr. James M. Munyon. Dr. Munyon is known for homeopathic patent medicines for which he was sued several times for fraud. In 1903, Munyon completed construction of the Hotel Hygeia (Greek goddess of Health). The five-story, 21-room, eight-bath hotel catered to ailing, wealthy Northerners who came to Palm Beach to recuperate on the tropical Island and drink of “Dr. Munyon’s Paw-Paw Elixir.” The elixir was primarily fermented papaya juice, bottled on the island. The hotel burned to the ground in 1917. Since then, the island remained largely uninhabited. John D. McArthur acquired the island in 1955 and then the State of Florida acquired it in 1981.
Little Munyon Island is great for picnics or sunbathing.